Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 33: Free Day!

Sunday, June 8

Photo 1: Brunch with Conley and Kim
Photo 2: Making friends in the fabric district
Photos 3 & 4: Promoting the French Open

Today was our first free day. I know this doesn't sound like a big deal, but pretty much all of us had been looking forward to this day since the beginning of the trip. I finished up some work this morning (we have essays and journals due this coming week), and then went to brunch with Conley and Kim (attached is a picture of them...#modelstatus). The food was pretty good, but the condensed milk buns were a bummer – way too much butter, and not enough milk.

This morning, Judy told us that she went to get her suit done in the fabric district and that they had really cool stores and shops, so we decided to go. We found our way there pretty well, especially considering the fact that Conley and I are both directionally challenged. Before even entering the fabric section we were mesmerized by the little stores outside – they have so many little trinkets: necklaces, bracelets, keychains, fans, and all types of little cute things that make really good presents. Of course, bargaining is a must, and since Conley and Kim both feel uncomfortable bargaining, I did it for them. 

Then we went into the actual fabric district – wow! So many little stores, all specialized in different handmade items – suits, dresses, shirts, cloths, scarfs, everything you can imagine. I bought some presents (won't specify what because they are likely reading this blog), and Conley got a cashmere coat! I tried to take some good pictures for today's blog but most of them are just Conley and Kim making weird faces... 

After this excursion, of course we wanted to do some more shopping, so we headed over to Nanjing Lu. This street reminds me a little of New York – bright lights everywhere, so many huge stores, and lots and lots of people. Also, the people in China are really aggressive in trying to make you visit their store. On this street, there was a big event for the French Open. I asked Conley to take a picture of me holding a big tennis ball, but then a photographer came over and was so intrigued by Conley that he asked her to model for him... it was really funny. 

So far I really do like Shanghai, but I don't like the fact that there are so many wai guo ren (foreigners) because then you don't feel as special. Compared to Nanjing and Beijing, there are so many more foreigners here, and I've especially noticed lots of Europeans. 

We kept walking down Nanjing Lu for a while, and kept stopping in stores on our way. We stopped at one little boutique that gave us free samples of a face mask on our hands which was fun. There were so many stores on that road that we also have in America – H&M, Sephora, Forever 21, etc. We stopped into these stores to look around, and of course many of the products were similar, but they also had products that you definitely can not find in the United States. In Sephora, they had these little Chinese face masks that I had never seen in America.

After our long day of excursions we were exhausted and starving, so we dropped our stuff off at the hotel and went out to eat. Alex took us to a little 'hole in the wall' type of place where we got rice and veggies (after a while in China, you just try not to think about how the food is made or what's in it and just eat it.. most of the time it's really good).  Kim wanted bao zi (steamed buns) so I went to help her look for them but we couldn't find them since they are considered a breakfast food, so instead she got pork kebabs (her fave). While we were waiting for her food I asked for a little packet of soy sauce, but instead I got a plastic bag with an absurd amount of soy sauce in it. It looked kind of like the bag you get when you buy a fish.

We went back to the hotel room to eat. Never in my life did I think I would be using a water bottle cap to dip in a plastic bag full of soy sauce and pour onto a dish I bought from a hole in the wall restaurant. But I embraced it. Overall today was really fun to explore, and it was nice to be able to relax for a little and not worry about having to be somewhere at an exact time. I can't wait for the rest of the week in Shanghai, and the extra week that I am staying after this program ends! 

At the same time, everyone is thinking about the trip coming to an end, and I know most of us are really sad. I am still surprised at how well all of us get along and how much I really like every single person on this trip, and I really hope we can all hang out when we are back at school in Northeastern.

Good night everyone!

- Molly


No comments:

Post a Comment