Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 30: Hai Di Lao and Hu Jie

Thursday, June 5

Photo 1: Molly in the chemistry lab
Photo 2: Molly and I at our internship
Photo 3: Hai Di Lao
Photo 4: Hu Jie

On the third day of our internship with the Chemistry Department at Nanda, Molly and I continued to help the Ph.D. student we've been learning from with her experiments and attended a lecture by the Vice President of Cambridge University, Chemistry Professor Jeremy Sanders, who's well known among those in the fields of biology and chemistry. The previous two days, the people we worked for paid for our lunches, so today we paid for theirs. It required standing between them and the cashier. After lunch, we set up a separation compound to separate a product from reactants and possible side products … but unless your my or Molly's parents, you probably don't want to know about our adventures in the chemistry lab, so I'll move on to Hot Pot at Hai Di Lao.

From the first step inside, Hai Di Lao is a very fancy restaurant, but it also provides quite a bit of free service. When we first sat down in the waiting room, we were provided with plum juice and a plate of cucumbers. If there had been more time, some students would have gotten free manicures. Inside the dining room, they placed our backpacks in special closets set into the wall. The thing I liked most was the salad bar where we could mix personal dipping sauces – so no one had to conform to anyone else's odd preferences. My peanut chili sauce might have been the weirdest though (this is an indication that my parents should take me to a Thai restaurant when I get back). Most of the meal consisted of people stealing each other's meat, which vanished off plates within a few minutes, while the vegetarian students had mostly uninhibited access to any of the vegetables. Late in the meal, Dong Laoshi had the restaurant send in a man who did a "noodle dance" that involved swinging a long rope of noodles around the room to stretch it out in a complex pattern and scaring Kim by almost hitting her in the head with the noodle rope.  

By the time we finished, we were already late for the dialogue with Hu Jie, a documentary filmmaker we all completed readings and a previous assignment about. He is also an artist, and let us wander around his apartment looking at his fantastic paintings, which were either of his wife or commentary on the Chinese government. We then all sat in his living room and asked Hu Jie questions and everyone learned something new about a man we'd already read so much about. My Meimei was starting to get worried by the time I got home because I was so late (and since it's currently only me and a teenage girl who just graduated from high school, that's saying something). I was really exhausted when I got back, so that's the reason why this is probably going to be up on the blog a bit late, though not as late as some of the entries I've heard about.

- Mika



No comments:

Post a Comment