Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 31: Internship Excursion

Friday, June 6

At the beginning of the week, I was somewhat skeptical about living with a strange family as a home guest. I have never done so before, and this was also the longest time we – the program – would be apart. However, the end of the week came faster than I originally expected. Feeling somewhat nostalgic, I have never been ready to return to the US after traveling abroad. But I had an amazing week with my host family and the intern site I took part in. Everyday attending the intern from 8:00 to about 17:00 is not too stressful – unless you have been coffee-deprived this entire dialogue, like myself! Although there were some dull moments during Johnny's and my intern, the holistic experience is worthwhile. We made new friends and can keep in contact. Also, we now have incredible contacts if ever needed. Not quite finished yet, but our last week kicks-off tomorrow when we relocate to Shanghai for our last few shenanigans.

The past week Johnny and I interned at Dingxing Civil Society Organization Service Centre. We were granted some first-hand experience with an organization that has very close ties with the municipal government and the communities it services. Throughout the week, two workers treated us to lunch at a fairly new mall complex. The first time we went, we parked in the underground garage. Not alone, there was an adorable tabby kitten. I felt horrible for the poor thing. She is just a baby and all alone because the mum was nowhere near by. 

But, need to move on back to happy thoughts now. So before lunch today we were presented a rather special surprise as we were brought to a Buddhist temple site. We got to walk around the magnificent, elaborately detailed and decorated area. Astoundingly picturesque and serene, the space truly is a perfect sanctuary. As we were walking around, we passed by some monks as well. Just thought I'd mention that – you know, because we were at a temple. The Chinese women do always amaze me though. This happened on the Great Wall, at our hike of Huang Mountain in Anhui Province, and now here. Chinese women love to where high-heeled shoes when doing these types of adventures. Our co-workers were not shy of this fact. It baffles me how anyone can do so. Well, I suppose as long as it's not me, continue being fashionable. So after our walk around, we returned to one of the main offices located in Nanjing where we ate lunch. Today was a total plot twist compared to the rest of the week. After we all finished, we presented our gifts for our co-workers and the boss. While we were getting ready to leave, I was backing up and people love to place gigantic posters in the most random places, so I sort of bumped into it and it almost fell over. So embarrassing.

After we left though, I returned to my host family's place for one last night. As usual, they were so generous with their meals. They always serve large meals even though there are only five of us. I swear I've become so fat just in this past week. But I'm not complaining, the food was always incredibly delicious. However, this was our last meal together as we need to be and out early tomorrow to meet back on campus at Nanjing University to catch our train for Shanghai! I'm so excited! Had I attended NYU instead I would have eventually ended up here in Shanghai, but because of Northeastern I am here so much earlier! Never thought of traveling to China before, but it has been totally worth the time. Just wish it could be longer. But next time you hear from us, we'll be in SHANGHAI!

- Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment