Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 14: Reflection

20 May 2014
 
To me, it does not even feel like we have been in China for the past three weeks. Every day, we have something to occupy our time – at least getting our money's worth! Even if there is nothing scheduled in the course for our group, we always have something – we’re in Nanjing! Therefore, it seems as if we have been here for much longer than reality. Even more so, we still have another three weeks to go…Mind blown! One reason in particular the time elapses so slowly though: no television station choices for down time! There is plenty to do, plenty to see, plenty of news reports, plenty to learn, but I am feeling nostalgic for my Americano still (no “dunks” either).

Tuesday – unlike most days – was very lax, and I have the pleasure of recording the accounts – what little they may be. Compared to other days, Tuesday was rather boring for me. We attended class, 8:00 – 12:00, and then visited with our language partners from 14:00 – 16:00. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Later in the evening I mostly studied, did homework, prepared for Friday’s presentation, and…oh yeah…wrote this blog entry. Not having explored too much of the city just yet, we will however be making our way to Anhui this weekend. After our return from Anhui though, I must explore as much of Nanjing as possible before our departure.

Due to censorship and possible lack of better cable opportunities, the only television programs we have to watch are Chinese CCTV regulated news, reality, drama, etc., shows. Oh, and of course my favourite, BBC World News channel. However, television is not the only source of entertainment in the world. So in a way always having the same channel options persuades us to go out into Nanjing. But, if you need know anything or help catching up on any news, no need to worry! I can fill you in, in a jiffy! Although everything seems wonderful here in Nanjing, watching all the news and reading it on my cell phone’s BBC app and New York Times app, places such as Ukraine are still in turmoil and continuing to rise. Whereas Thailand has now undergone martial law, and just released from the Times it was a coup.

Although our access to most social media is limited (although there are ways, i.e. obtaining a VPN), it is nice to have the ability not to be surrounded by the social networking. I am a bit ready to go back to America because of my luxury goods I miss, but even more so I love being in China. Not having many online options encourages self-reflection, outdoor participation, and socializing with other students here. Being here provides a more fulfilling sense of ancient China growing in a modern community.

-Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment