Monday, May 19, 2014

Day 12: Exploring Nanjing

5/18/2014

Photo 1: Swimming under Purple Mountain
Photo 2: The garden near the Confucius Temple
Photo 3: Stamp
Photo 4: Ramen

Today many of us went on a bike ride to Purple mountain, however this was optional. In case y'all read from the last blog, Conley, my roommate, had major food poisoning which I had the pleasure of waking up to. Thank goodness she got better and could go on the bike trip. I decided not to go because I heard it was super intense and I cannot handle super intense, y'all. I think they basically rode around Nanjing and they went swimming in a lake. Conley says they watched old people play cards and she got attacked by a five pound dog. She says she got caught a lot of minnows (with her bare hands!). The funniest story I heard though was that everyone convinced Bobo to put sunscreen in her hair. That made me LOL. They got ice cream too… From what I heard it was a super fun time, except I've had a couple people tell me their butts really hurt now.

Instead, Rebecca and I wanted to go to the Confucius temple (夫子庙) so we set out a bit after 9 to take the subway there. The temple was constructed in the Song dynasty in 1304. We had to walk around for quite a bit and honestly I pretty much blindly followed Rebecca. While looking for the temple one of those trucks that spray the ground attacked me (kind of) and my leg was all black from wet dirt it flung at me. That's not a very good explanation, but for future reference I am going to avoid trucks that play ice-cream-truck music and violently spray water at the ground. We found a place that we thought was a temple but it turned out to be a garden. It was really beautiful so I took tons of pictures. There were lots of really really old people and really tiny kids there and they were all better at climbing up the rocks than me. We also saw the Qinhuai river which I think was supposed to be in front of the temple.

Later we walked around and bought stuff and I bought a stamp with my name on it. It was pretty exciting. Actually I think the most exciting part was using Chinese to speak to random people and having them understand me. Even though it wasn't a language pledge day it made speaking Chinese a rewarding and exciting thing ^.^

We never even ended up going to the Confucius temple. Instead we found a place called Aqua City and decided to eat there. We ate at a Japanese restaurant that had really good ramen. After eating massive quantities of food, we were pretty exhausted and went back to our dorm to work on journals. I needed a nap.

Later we had our weekly discussion which makes me wanna pee myself but I did my best. Many of us later went out to eat and there was a crazy lady there dancing with everyone. It was the weirdest and most funny thing I think I have ever seen.

-Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment